Subject: Re: Xmas music
From: Kenneth Bleeth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 20 Dec 2016 15:11:05 -0500

There are legitimate reasons for comparing the "story line" of *Otello* with
that of *Othello. *But deciding which is "better" isn't one of them. Verdi
and Shakespeare were working with different notions of theater, different
audience expectations, different relations between the time supposedly
taken up by the action and actual time on stage. In other words, plotting
in Verdi and in Shakespeare serves entirely dissimilar ends. As for
*Othello* being "too long," Shakespeare regularly made changes (including
cuts) in his scripts to accommodate the needs of specific performances. On
the other hand, it can be argued that, in S's best plays, every scene and
every passage contributes something to our experience of the work.