Subject: Re: Met broadcasts in Dallas
From: E J Michel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 15 Dec 2016 15:38:37 -0500

agreeing to the positive comments above

the wealth of LIVE opera available by audio and video stream from around
the world is staggering.  and its increased even in the last two years.

Just go to a Saturday listing on operacast.com
you will find dozens of live operas and some recorded live - streaming from
all over Europe and the rest of the world.
i sometimes listen to the beginning of one and then switch to another and
on ...

What has also changed is the hold the Met used to put to the European
stations - previously they HAD to air the MET on the same day and live as
the US broadcast, now many either dont air the MET at all, or pick and
choose (BBC Radio 3 is an example) or time shift it to another day
entirely.

So whereas you used to be tied ONLY to the MET on Saturday here in the US,
now the European stations often have more interesting operas.

And the amount of live streams from European opera houses (including video)
is constantly increasing; although many of the larger houses are turning to
subscription based and payperview (Vienna for one but its very good quality
and available on Apple TV so you can get very high resolution).

Symphony orchestras are not far behind either  The Berlin Philharmonic also
has subscription or payperview and are increasingly presenting opera. Their
app is available on practically any device and Apple TV as well as Smart
Tvs by Samsung and Sony.  This is the best out there and is priced
accordingly.  The live concerts are beautifully filmed and production
values are incredibly high.

a note about WCRB - they have cultivated a unique relationship with the
Boston Symphony Orchestra - every month you can hear their entire live
streamed concert repertory going back one year .  BSO also live streams on
Saturday evening during the Boston season and Fri, Sat live and Sun night
(taped of the live afternoon concert) during Tanglewood.

I could go on and on.

I am still impressed and amazed that I can sit and watch Martha Argerich
perform with the Berlin Phil live ... or Anja Harteros sing BALLO in
Vienna. (doubt if she will ever come to the MET)

its a far cry from growing up in a city where the MET was about the only
classical music ever played on the radio to this overwhelming selection!

Best regards,
Elizabeth

E J Michel