Subject: Re: Shakespeare and opera
From: Paul Ferraro <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 20 Dec 2016 11:40:49 -0500

Due to parental & familial influences, I have been an opera fanatic for
nearly 60 years.  During that span, I must have either attended performances
of Verdi's Otello, or listened to live broadcasts or  studio recordings
hundreds of times.

The "miracle" of this work for me is that just about every listening reveals
something "new" - in either the orchestration or vocal music or artistic
interpretation.  IMO, therefore, Verdi's work is not only the greatest
Shakespearean opera, but an argument can be presented for its being the
greatest opera ever written.

DonPaolo