Subject: Re: Shakespeare and opera
From: ANGELO MAMMANO <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 20 Dec 2016 10:38:17 -0500

There are so many connections to Shakespeare in opera, ballet, musicals, etc..

Verdi's Macbeth is a masterpiece of his early period. Even without the later revisions

it is a fantastic work.  Otello and Falstaff are great.  And speaking of Verdi, George

Schick once stated that without Verdi we would not have enough repertoire to maintain

any opera companies.  So if this is true, and I believe that it is, comparisons as to who

are the most important opera composers is unnecessary.  Without Verdi, no matter.

I love Romeo et Juliette.  I find the closing words: Seigneur, Seigneur, pardonnez-nous!

very moving.  As mentioned, the Prokofiev ballet is one of the best ballet scores. The music

is so fine that you don't need the choreography.  I was associated for years with the Boston

Ballet and to see Fernando Bujones as Romeo is something never to forget. He inhabited

the role like no one before him other than Nureyev.

Angelo from Boston