Subject: Re: Shakespeare and opera
From: "G. Paul Padillo" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 20 Dec 2016 09:56:30 -0500

Loving both Shakespeare and opera, I can become overwhelmed (in a good way) when
they're combined, and have difficulty picking a favorite, even out of Verdi's Holy Trinity.
Falstaff, I love because of its sense of ensemble, the endless, forward momentum that
propels it towards the its glorious ending - and (for me) the future of opera.  Otello breaks
my heart.  Macbeth is close to my heart for its bit of raw theatricality that Verdi captures
like almost no one else.  Well, okay . . . no one else.

BUT, I also would not want to be without (in no particular order):

Hoiby's "The Tempest"
Ades' "The Tempest"
Gounod's "Romeo et Juliette"
Britten's "A Midsummer Night's Dream"
Giannini's "The Taming of the Shrew" (someone please do this again!)
Faccio's "Amleto"
Reimann's "Lear"
Salieri's "Falstaff"
Berlioz' "Béatrice et Bénédict"
Thomas "Hamlet"
Bloch's "Macbeth"
Vaughan Williams "Sir John In Love"

And that's just the tip o' the proverbial iceberg!

p.
http://sharkonarts.blogspot.com/