Subject: Re: Shakespeare and opera
From: Kiwi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 20 Dec 2016 09:20:25 -0500

Love me some Otello in the biggest way, just as a compelling drama set to
perfect music.  I am captured each time I hear the heartbreak in Dio! mi
potevi scagliar, the gentle plea in Ave Maria, and the tragic
self-understanding in Niun mi tema.  And it is balanced, with each act
holding up under scrutiny and moving the story along without unnecessary
diversion.  That said, I find it perfect Verdi and less perfect Shakespeare.

I think the works that best distill Shakespeare come from the pits:
Prokofiev's R&J just slays me every time I hear it--this is Shakespeare's
best love story captured in sound.  Then there is Tchaikovsky and his
efforts:  especially his fantasy on R&J, which I adore listening to.
Perhaps it is because in native music without the visual or the libretto I
experience a personal relationship with the author that allows me to
're-invent' his works in a way that matches my moods and sensibilities.
Totally a selfish reaction, eh?

Wishing all a wonderful holiday season!

Modify your settings: