Subject: Re: Shakespeare and opera
From: donald kane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 20 Dec 2016 09:14:48 -0500

It has always impressed me how many great musical works, both vocal
and non-vocal, have been inspired by ROMEO AND JULIET. I "discovered"
the play in the seventh grade when we were required to read it, and had been
eagerly prepared to do so by having just seen the gorgeous film with
Norma Shearer, who is still my favorite Hollywood actress.  It is said that
her husband, Irving Thalberg, who produced the film, happened to hear a
radio broadcast while in NY, of the Tschaikowsky Overture, and wired back
to the studio that its "love theme" must be included before R&J could be
released,
and it was!.

All of the responses today have covered the topic nicely and I agree with
most of what they say except: my heart remains with Gounod's lovable work.
The
Toscanini FALSTAFF is one of the greatest things ever committed to disc,
but it has never given me the kind of bliss I experience with ROMEO ET
JULIETTE even when I listen to it in Russian with Ivan Kozlovsky.  I also
adore Profofiev's ballet and Porter's masterpiece, and found that Wagner's
take on MEASURE FOR MEASURE made for a very memorable evening in Waterloo
NJ, when Allessandra Marc debuted there in it.   I enjoyed too,  except for
those needless bloodbaths, the Met's revival of Thomas' HAMLET a few years
ago.

dtmk