Subject: Re: Shakespeare and opera
From: Don <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 20 Dec 2016 05:59:16 -0700

I have to agree with Bob.  Falstaff is my favorite Shakespearean opera too
plus my favorite Verdi opera over all.  I've been crazy about it ever since
I bought the Toscanini recording many years ago.  It's a miraculous opera
to have been written at his age almost in musical shorthand, quicksilver
melodies come and go before you think they should, the orchestration is
marvelous and I think Verdi's best with new and exciting combinations of
instruments and wonderfully atmospheric sounds in every act.  There is
something about the vitality, the amazing orchestral work and the precise
ensembles of that recording that I think has never been equalled.
The visual production I have enjoyed the most is also the Zefferelli Met
production with Bernstein conducting.  My second favorite production is the
Central City Production a number of years ago.  The small stage added to
the intimacy, the sets were amazing, and the young cast was full of energy
and made it all look too easy.
dond

--
It's amazing how useful it can be.