Subject: Re: Shakespeare and opera
From: Bob Rideout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 20 Dec 2016 07:46:09 -0500

Falstaff is, for me, the great Shakepearean Opera, and it approached
perfection in the Bernstein/Zeffirelli collaboration of 1964 at the Met.
I attended every performance that season and just about every one
the following year. How lucky we were!

But, from where I sit,

the ultimate Shakespearean musical experience is Prokofiev's Romeo
and Juliet, and it did reach perfection when the Royal Ballet
performed it with Margot Fonteyn and Rudolf Nureyev. "Legendary"
does not begin to do it justice!

Bob