Subject: Shakespeare and opera
From: Vesna Danilovic <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 19 Dec 2016 21:37:30 -0500

Dear listers,

This year has seen numerous commemorations of 400 years after his death.
So, just before this milestone year expires, I thought to ask any
interested lister about their favorite opera with connection to
Shakespeare. Mine is probably Verdi’s MACBETH, though perhaps his OTELLO is
artistically even closer to the original play. I also love Gounod’s ROMEO
ET JULIETTE on its own merits, but -and I could be wrong in this- its music
escapes me as an expression of a Shakesperean tragedy. It's still a
wonderful opera that I love listening to, most fondly in the Met broadcast
with Bjoerling and Sayao.

It would be very much interesting if anyone else could share their own
choices.

Happy holidays to all,

Vesna