Subject: Re: Hearty precedents to Marilyn Horne
From: Bob Rideout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 19 Dec 2016 13:34:21 -0500

Conchita Supervia is among a small group of famous singers, whose
legacies owe far more to their recordings than to their performance
annals. Eva Turner is another.

Supervia was a prodigy who sang the Italian premiere of Rosenkavalier
at the age of fifteen. But - Her performance annals show a singer who may
have sung in opera fewer than 300 times, and who was primarily known
in England in the latter stages of her tragically curtailed career. She
died
in London after delivering a stillborn child in 1936.

Supervia's recordings were instrumental in the public's interest in
the Rossini "mezzo" rep, but Gianna Pederzini was acclaimed as
Isabella as early as the mid twenties, so to attribute the
Rossini revival to Supervia, is at least a half bridge too far, I think.
Besanzoni and others also sang Rossini, occasionally, but there is
no doubt that Supervia's recordings were enormously influential in
spreading the composer's message.

In any case, her recordings are among the most vivid and enjoyable
in my collection. Her rhythmic instincts and personality, once heard
are never forgotten.

Bob