Subject: Re: Fwd: Metropolitan Opera Cast Change Advisory - Eugene Onegin
From: Alain Letort <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 8 Dec 2016 18:07:01 -0500

Dear Listers:

I have tickets for the April 12 matinée performance of “Onegin” at Met,
which, according to Bob K.’s post, will now be sung by Peter Mattei.  I was
hoping, after this morning’s announcement, that we would get Mariusz
Kwiecien instead of poor Dmitri Hvorostovsky, but that is not to be.

The name of Peter Mattei was hitherto totally unknown to me.  According to
Wikipedia, Peter Mattei is a Swedish Mozartian singer, whose previous
experience appears to be limited to oratorio (“Matthäus-Passion”) and Mozart
festivals such as Salzburg and Aix-en-Provence : Figaro in the “Barber,” DG
in “Don Giovanni,” and Count Almaviva at the Met in . . . 2002.  There is no
indication that he has ever sung Onegin, which doesn’t mean to say he hasn’t.

My questions are:

•  Has anybody on the List ever heard him before?  How was his voice?
•  In your opinion, is he up to singing “Onegin”?
•  Should I try and exchange my tickets for a performance with Kwiecien?

I am sure we all wish a complete recovery to Dmitri Hvorostovsky, a truly
exceptional artist.

Thanks and all the best,

Alain

Alain Letort