Subject: Re: Butterfly from La Scala
From: Idia Legray <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 14 Dec 2016 07:40:29 -0500

Despite the fact that I was watching Puccini's first version, I found it
 thoroughly enjoyable and quite interesting to see how much improved his
 final decisions bring even more drama and pathos than this original one.

 Because I am so familiar with the score I was sometimes taken aback and
 felt "robbed" of certain musical sounds that were not there.  Particularly in
 the love scene.  Also the lack of Pinkerton's aria"Addio fiorito asil" was
 sadly missed.

 But in all, I found this Butterfly a sincere and tragic performance beautifully
 done by Maria Jose Siri whose facial expressions alone touched one's heart.
 Kudos to Annelise Stroppa who was a fine Suzuki and to Bryan Hymel who
 was an almost likable reprobate of a Pinkerton.  Special acknowledgement
 must go to a performance of Sharpless that is hard to beat.  Carlos Alvarez
 found the key to a sympathetic rendering like I have never seen before.
 The beauty of the staging and costumes was well conceived.
 And of course Puccini's magnificent music well delivered by Chailly was the
 icing on the cake.