Subject: Fwd: Metropolitan Opera Cast Change Advisory - Eugene Onegin
From: Bob Kosovsky <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 8 Dec 2016 15:47:16 -0500

Here's the official announcement:

------------------------- Original Message ----------------------------

Dmitri Hvorostovsky has withdrawn from his upcoming opera engagements,
including this spring’s Met performances as the title character in
Tchaikovsky’s Eugene Onegin, due to illness. In June 2015, he was
diagnosed with a brain tumor and began treatment. However, balance issues
resulting from the illness have made the performance of staged opera
difficult, though he plans to continue performing in concerts, recitals,
and the recording studio. A statement from Mr. Hvorostovsky is available
below.

Mariusz Kwiecien and Peter Mattei will step into the role of Onegin at the
Met for this spring’s performances, with Kwiecien singing on March 30,
April 3 and 7 and Mattei singing on April 12, 15, 18, and 22 matinee.

Eugene Onegin will be conducted by Robin Ticciati and will also star Anna
Netrebko as Tatiana, Elena Maximova as Olga, Alexey Dolgov as Lenski, and
Štefan Kocán as Gremin. The April 22 matinee performance will be
transmitted worldwide as part of the Met’s Live in HD series, which now
reaches more than 2,000 theaters in 70 countries around the globe.

Statement from Dmitri Hvorostovsky

To all my friends, fans and colleagues:

It is with great sadness that I must withdraw from opera performances for
the foreseeable future.

I have been experiencing balance issues associated with my illness, making
it extremely difficult for me to perform in staged productions.

I will continue to give concerts and recitals as well as make recordings.
Singing is my life, and I want to continue bringing joy to people
worldwide.

With this pause in my operatic career and more rest in between each
engagement, I hope to have more time to focus on my health and treatment.

Thank you for all your love, messages and well wishes. Your support is
felt and means the world to me.

With love,

DMITRI HVOROSTOVSKY

--
posted by
   Listowner: OPERA-L ; SMT-ANNOUNCE ; SoundForge-users