Subject: Mefistofele Baden Baden style
From: Idia Legray <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 12 Dec 2016 21:26:07 -0500

My thanks goes to a kindly lister who alerted me of this unusual, modern
production of Boito's masterpiece currently being seen on you-tube.  I was
enthralled with this particular production, which goes to prove that with a
creative director one can see a modern version of an opera without
insulting the composer or the singers.  Kudos to Philipp Himmelmann for
pulling off the impossible.  This opera is not an easy one to produce.

Erwin Schrott is not seen nearly often enough.  Besides having a fine bass-
baritone voice, his cynical interpretation of the devil was singularly one of
the most creative and entertaining I have ever seen.  (His resemblance to
Hvorostovsky is fascinating).

Charles Castronova was at his very best in the role of Faust.  He sang so
beautifully, giving attention to diminuendos with ease and hitting some
pretty impressive high notes.

A newcomer to me was the unique role of Marguerite as sung by Alex
Penda. What a marvelous and expressive singer and actor she is.

The choruses were spectacular and the glue that held this entire work of
art together thanks to the pen of one Arrigo Boito.

Bravi tutti.

Modify your settings: