Subject: Re: Menotti, The Consul, "To this we've come," sung by Eileen Farrell
From: Genevieve Castle Room <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 10 Dec 2016 18:03:32 -0500

Ray Gouin wrote:

>"My view, which I have oft stated before -- If Menotti had composed no
other music but this piece, he would still be regarded as a major composer."

??

It would be hard to accept the statement that Menotti... "would still be
regarded as a major composer had he written nothing else."

When did he ever reach the rank of "major composer" based on this and all
his other work?

Yes, he was one of several talented American composers who attained a high
ranking with Roy Harris, Paul Creston, etc... but falling a rank or two
below Samuel Barber, Aaron Copland and maybe Howard Hanson.