Subject: Re: Piotr Beczala visits Met Archives; interesting interview
From: kurt youngmann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 10 Dec 2016 13:05:41 -0600

> On Dec 10, 2016, at 12:33 PM, Vesna Danilovic <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> I watched this interview and cannot praise it enough. It's much less about
> Beczala, though it could be of interest to his admirers as well, and more
> about operatic vocal art in general. Incredibly interesting ideas from a
> singer who clearly has a great sense of connection with the past.

That was the impression I had as well. I’ve often wondered how many singers pay attention to the way their predecessors sang - technically, stylistically and interpretatively. Beczala does know his tenor history.

> I think
> his desire to do a recording with the technology available ca. 1910 would
> be a marvelous service to all of us, so that, as Beczala generously offers,
> we can compare a tenor sound we hear today with modern technology or live
> with that from the Caruso times.

In fact, Roberto Alagna did this back in the 90s. He recorded “Musica proibita” on an old acoustic machine. Quite interesting to listen to.

Kurt Youngmann

We have evolved to survive reality, not to understand it. - Mark Crislip MD