Subject: Fwd: Butterfly from La Scala
From: donald kane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 10 Dec 2016 12:05:38 -0500

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: donald kane <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Sat, Dec 10, 2016 at 11:43 AM
Subject: Re: Butterfly from La Scala
To: Jay & Ralph <[log in to unmask]>

It's crowded , perhaps overcrowded, with suitable glimpses of classic
"Japonaisserie" - if that's the correct word - but which are totally
unnecessary
in the unfolding of the musical drama.  Many have questioned the purpose of
adding what appear to be additional stories to the house in which all of the
action takes place.  Typically, such a house in Japan had only one story.
This poses questions like why does Cio cio san come downstairs for her
entrance when she is supposed to have just climbed up the hill, and later,
why does her nasty old uncle start making such a row up in the attic?   The
singing
is excellent and the soprano is mesmerizing in the title role, but that too
is a plus diminished by the negative idea of putting so much expense and
effort into a performance of Puccini's inferior first version of the opera,
 a thing
that only deserves to occur with a rare concert style performance for the
curious.

This event has occurred with a simultaneous new production (at least as
streamed on Youtube) of Boito's MEFISTOFELE from Baden Baden, a far more
gratifying affair altogether.   It is imaginative, refreshing, and smart;
it wipes the
cobwebs away from a fading masterpiece.  Who knew that so many of our
favorite old entertainers were now able to sing their hearts out among the
hosts of heaven?  Or that the Devil could be so campy, and Faust such a
hunk?    Idia Legray has to see this and report fully on her reaction; she
has
plead so often for a revival.  I hope she likes this one as much as I did.

dtmk