Subject: Re: Amplification in the Opera House (formerly RE: SALOME opening night MET 5 December)
From: donald kane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 10 Dec 2016 10:18:10 -0500

In my experience, the ideal way to produce "offstage", that is
sounds coming from a different or distant space, is to locate the
  singers in an upper or alternate section of the theater so that
they are not muffled, and therefore, require no amplification.  It
worked magnificently many years ago in Newark NJ when I
saw IRIS staged there.  It worked magnificently for Eve Queler
        when she conducted RIENZI in concert at Carnegie Hall.

And as for music meant to be heard, why does the Met always have Manrico
in a prison cell so far away from Leonora that "Miserere" which is, after
all a duet, loses that effect altogether..  And why must Turridu open
CAVALLERIA
with a serenade from the other side of town?  Overdone effects can be just
as
disturbing as minimal ones.

Purism may be a challenging discipline, but it isn't necessarily a
destructive
one.

dtmk