Subject: ungrateful roles
From: R PRADA <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 9 Dec 2016 21:04:19 -0500

I think Preziosila is considered ungrateful in the sense that she has a difficult entrance and the music does nothing to make her look good.

Sparafucile’s sister is similarly under appreciated (whatshername)

Flora in Traviata

There are some secondary roles in the Mozart operas that seem like nothing - Barbarina, for instance.

I think that Don Jose is very difficult and somehow never gets the goodies.

Even the toreador is a lot of work and unless you have the vocal charisma is a Bob Merrill you simply cannot make it shine.

It is also possible to bomb as Don Ottavio - and one reason is that the two arias were composed for different singers and we’re never supposed to be sung by the same person.

Even Hoffman is not a grateful role and it is very hard to carry it off.  Many fall before it.  I hear Konya oversing his way into the shallows in BA. And I have seen Kraus on video emerge like  prince, in his 70’s - table leaps an all and singing as only he could, with phrasing, intensity, expressivity…

The courtesan, Antonia and even the doll can be blips - and really hard to sing. The doll -well you know what that is - but Antonia has that trio that is a killer.

Come to think of it - both the comic tenor roles and the bass roles do not show how hard they are

Modify your settings: