Subject: Re: Butterfly from La Scala
From: Peggy Houdek <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 9 Dec 2016 11:33:38 -0500

So when I woke up at 2:30 and couldn’t go back to sleep, I decided to watch the Butterfly — before they take it away!  I really quite liked it and was  very moved.  When I first listened to part of it, I was  convinced that they got lost in the love duet at the end of Act I.  I know that music really well and couldn’t figure out what they were doing.  Guess I forgot to read the fine print!  I think Puccini’s newer version is more interesting and I did miss Pinkerton’s aria in Act III.  It really is a spectacular production, even if not quite practical  getting from floor to floor.  Liked the singers more than I had expected from some of the comments — thought Sharpless was very sympathetic.  Wish I had a program to record Youtube so I could watch it again. Thanks to everyone for all the information. Nice way to spend a sleepless night.  Sure beats infomercials!

Peggy