Subject: Hei-Kyung Hong's anniversary
From: [log in to unmask]
Date:Fri, 9 Dec 2016 00:05:58 -0500

Someone on here mentioned months ago that Hei-Kyung Hong's only scheduled Met
performance was December 8 - so I went.  (The program indicated she will do a
single MADAMA BUTTERFLY for Washington National Opera.)

Tonight was LA BOHEME.  After Act 2, the lights stayed down while the curtain
opened showing the entire chorus and principals.  Out of the wings walked Peter
Gelb who gave a short speech commending Hong for her 32 years at the Met (he
apologized for being two years late, as her debut was in 1984).  He presented
her with a framed original costume design by Jean-Pierre Ponnelle depicteing her
outfitted as the Countess (from LE NOZZE DI FIGARO).  She clearly was suprised
and touched, letting out a loud "oooh!" upon seeing the frame.

Then Hei-Kyung Hong spoke briefly, profusely thanking the Met, as she turned to
the orchestra, the chorus, Gelb, and the audience which she complimented
repeatedly.

Her voice has "gotten older."  But the excellent musicianship and pin-point
rhythmic accuracy which she always displays was there as usual.  Brava.

   Listowner: OPERA-L ; SMT-ANNOUNCE ; SoundForge-users