Subject: Re: Metropolitan Opera Cast Change Advisory - Eugene Onegin
From: Maxwell Paley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 8 Dec 2016 16:29:10 -0800

I got a similarly worded email from London's Royal Opera;  I'd bought tickets online for a late January "Trovatore" in which Dmitry would have sung de Luna.

It seems the Met has things better tied up for their April "Onegin" than the ROH does for their January "Trovatore" which they announced as still To Be Cast.

A comment on Eugene Onegin.  I think this is a reasonable role to sing well, but an extremely difficult one to act in a way that is both true to the text and compelling and, in some way, draws empathy from the audience.  I've seen Hvorostovsky, who sang it splendidly, along with many others over the years, but the most vivid and haunting characterization I saw was from Simon Keenlyside.

Max Paley

Sent from my iPhone