Subject: Re: Fwd: Metropolitan Opera Cast Change Advisory - Eugene Onegin
From: Frank Djeng <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 8 Dec 2016 19:03:36 -0500

Mattei sang Onegin in the Salzburg production conducted by Barenboim
and it's readily available on DVD.  He's fantastic.  I consider him one of the
finest baritones of our generations.

https://www.amazon.com/Tchaikovsky-Eugene-Onegin-Ryland-
Davies/dp/B0018B7RT2/ref=sr_1_5?
ie=UTF8&qid=1481241539&sr=8-5&keywords=peter+mattei

Frank

On Thu, 8 Dec 2016 18:07:01 -0500, Alain Letort <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>Dear Listers:
>
>I have tickets for the April 12 matinée performance of “Onegin” at Met,
>which, according to Bob K.’s post, will now be sung by Peter Mattei.  I was
>hoping, after this morning’s announcement, that we would get Mariusz
>Kwiecien instead of poor Dmitri Hvorostovsky, but that is not to be.
>
>The name of Peter Mattei was hitherto totally unknown to me.  According
>Wikipedia, Peter Mattei is a Swedish Mozartian singer, whose previous
>experience appears to be limited to oratorio (“Matthäus-Passion”) and
Mozart
>festivals such as Salzburg and Aix-en-Provence : Figaro in the “Barber,”
DG
>in “Don Giovanni,” and Count Almaviva at the Met in . . . 2002.  There is
no
>indication that he has ever sung Onegin, which doesn’t mean to say he
hasn’t.

>My questions are:
>
>•  Has anybody on the List ever heard him before?  How was his voice?
>•  In your opinion, is he up to singing “Onegin”?
>•  Should I try and exchange my tickets for a performance with Kwiecien?
>
>I am sure we all wish a complete recovery to Dmitri Hvorostovsky, a truly
>exceptional artist.
>
>Thanks and all the best,
>
>Alain
>
>Alain Letort
>Washington, D.C.
>The Lair of the Beast

>[log in to unmask] containing only the words:  SET OPERA-L
NOMAIL