Subject: Re: Fwd: Metropolitan Opera Cast Change Advisory - Eugene Onegin
From: Vesna Danilovic <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 8 Dec 2016 18:31:03 -0500

On Thu, Dec 8, 2016 at 6:07 PM, Alain Letort <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> The name of Peter Mattei was hitherto totally unknown to me.

<skip for space>
> My questions are:
> •  Has anybody on the List ever heard him before?  How was his voice?
> •  In your opinion, is he up to singing “Onegin”?
> •  Should I try and exchange my tickets for a performance with Kwiecien?

Before I answer about Mattei, I have to say how heartbroken I am about
Dmitri H. I had the privilege to be at his last performance at the Met,
which was also broadcast in HD. The atmosphere was electrifying, we were
all in tears (at least those around me, including myself) and it was a rare
moment of the special connection between the artist, his colleagues, and
the entire audience. There was no line dividing us, we were all one in our
love for opera as human and artistic experience and, of course, above all
in our support for Dima, an exceptional artist with a wonderful voice.

It's difficult to follow this with the praise of another baritone who will
replace him due to this unfortunate situation, but had it not been about
Peter Mattei I probably would not have answered it. Mattei is simply
magnificent in every respect. I saw him live in PARSIFAL and LE NOZZE, both
at the Met, and he stole the show both times. His voice felt like honey
pouring into my ears and his musicianship is of the highest order. I would
not have missed any of his performances and my advice is not to exchange
the ticket by any means.  It will be a sad occasion because Dima's Onegin
is legendary, but I'm sure Mattei will be up to this task and you will not
be disappointed.

Vesna