Subject: "la favorite" vs "la favorita"
From: kurt youngmann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 14 Dec 2016 13:58:57 -0600

In the current issue of Opera News there’s a review of a recent performance of “La Favorite” in Munich, sung in the original French version. The reviewer regards the Italian version as an inferior and “… inaccurate, trivialized adaptation…”

My early experiences with the opera were in the Italian translation with the remarkable cast of Fiorenza Cossotto, Alfredo Kraus and Sesto Bruscantini (later Piero Cappuccilli) and, even though I have several recordings of the French version (which I do prefer), I don’t think the Italian one is all that bad. Certainly I find that “Don Carlos” (French) is marginally superior to “Don Carlo” (Italian).

Anyone want to chime in with opinions?

Kurt Youngmann

"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'” -
Isaac Asimov