Subject: Fwd: Met broadcasts in Dallas
From: donald kane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 5 Dec 2016 10:53:35 -0500

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: donald kane <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Sun, Dec 4, 2016 at 7:59 PM
Subject: Re: Met broadcasts in Dallas
To: gordon young <[log in to unmask]>
Cc: Opera-L <[log in to unmask]>

The big mistake here is regarding the Met Opera Broadcasts as a
part of the ongoing insipid pap that calls itself  "broadcast classical
It sort of works here in NYC, where we still have the watered down
of what used to be one of a number of authentic classical music broadcasting
venues: WQXR.  It ain't what it used to be, but it does provide the Met
matinees.  Truth is, the Met on the radio every Saturday was once a special
event, not an example of a station's regular programming.  It was provided,
without commercials, as a prestigious service to the community by a network
such as NBC. Eventually, in NYC, it was carried by WOR, a primarily talk-'
oriented local station replete with a daily menu of live shows featuring a
of subjects.  It was the real thing, radio as it was meant to be; if you
wanted to
listen to a disc jockey you simply twisted the dial.  Sadly, the truth must
faced; on the airwaves today, the dollar - and the dumbest audience -