Subject: Re: Guitan's comments on Victoria de los Angeles
From: tom ponti <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 5 Dec 2016 15:46:15 +0000

It always fascinated me that Callas, Tebaldi and Victoria all developed upper voice problems by the late fifties. These wonderful singers were great in different ways. Callas had a less than beautiful voice, but her voice was large with an interesting sound and she was a great vocal technician. Tebaldi was blessed with a large beautiful voice, but was not nearly the vocal technician that Maria or even Victoria were. Victoria had the smallest voice of these three, but her lyric voice had a beautiful rich sound. I have read that when Victoria was studying at the conservatory, her instructors were split as to whether she had a lyric or spinto voice, which may be the reason she may have sung roles basically to heavy for her natural vocal size.  As on critic said, many years ago, Butterfly may have been a bit to heavy for her voice, but what a shame not to have heard it.  Walter is a Tebaldi fanatic, which is his right, but his statements about some other great singers is embarrassing.