Subject: Guitan's comments on Victoria de los Angeles
From: Les Mitnick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 5 Dec 2016 09:52:57 -0500

I was shocked and astonished at the observations made by Walter Guitan
regarding Victoria de los Angeles, one of the greatest vocal artists of the
last century.  To my ear, her voice was truly beautiful and one "kissed by
the Spanish sunshine".  She bonded beautifully with French Opera, and she
forged a great bond with certain Italian roles.
     While it is true that by the end of the 1950s, the uppermost notes had
receded, the voice and artistry remained in a class by themselves.  She sang
in German, French, Italian, and of course Spanish.  It is as a recitalist
that she is best remembered and cherished -- and I saw her in many live ones
that will forever remain green in my memory,  A de los Angeles recital was
always a special treat.  She's left an incredible legacy in sound on EMI
     Why does Mr. Guitan write such vicious things about such a great
artist?  I've never encountered any professional critic speak of de los
Angeles this way.  He has built his own personal shrine to Tebaldi, and
refuses to acknowledge that there were many arts far superior to Tebaldi,
especially in the world of art songs and lieder, melodies, and Spanish song
literature from the Renaissance to Nin, Granados, Valaverde, Toldra, and de
Falla.
      The vocal problems Mr Guitan emphasizes are, to me anyway, amounts to
nothing less than sour grapes.  What a pity that his tunnel vision prevents
him from enjoying a plethora of artists.
      Would also like to put in a good word for the sublime Gerard Souzay,
another enormous gem of the song rectal format.
       Surely I am surprised that no one else has brought this up.  de los
Angeles brought much joy in her career, and to have Mr. Guitan so viciously
diss it is to disrespect a supreme vocal artist.  She gave so much, and how
I lovv