Subject: Re: Merrill, was:Re: Jeanette McDonald in opera
From: Tom Frey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 1 Dec 2016 23:46:17 -0500

believe it was Mimi Benzell
----- Original Message -----
From: S&R Pinsker <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Thu, 01 Dec 2016 22:29:39 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Merrill, was:Re: Jeanette McDonald in opera

On Mon, 28 Nov 2016 15:20:29 -0500, Sharon Rich <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:
 if you know the Robert Merrill story you know that going
>from Hollywood to the Met wasn't allowed even if the opposite was done
successfully.

Let's get the Merrill story straight.
Bing arrived at the Met on a Saturday morning to be greeted with the news
that Merrill, who was scheduled to sing in the broadcast matinee had sent
a message that he couldn't bother to return from Hollywood for the
performance.
It may have been Barber but it was a long time ago and I'm not sure. He was
fired on the spot and could not return to the Met until he made a public
apology. He was not fired for making a movie, for which he may have had
permission from the Met, but for flagrantly not showing up. If he had contacted
the Met earlier in the week, he probably would have been accommodated.
In his later Met career, I believe he did miss a performance because he was
snowbound in Westchester.

Johnson, not Bing, fired a soprano for making night club appearances.
I think the real grievance was that she billed herself as "Star of the
Metropolitan Opera"

Bob P