Subject: Re: "Ungrateful roles" and why
From: Ivy Lin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 4 Dec 2016 09:20:36 -0500

Two tenor roles I can think of:

The title role in Roberto Devereux. His cabaletta is extremely difficult to sing but no one even
pays attention because this opera is all about Elizabeth.

Pinkerton. No matter how well a tenor sings a role, I've never seen an audience give Pinkerton
more than polite applause and I've seen booing more than once. The character is so hateful
and the opera so focused on Butterfly that any appreciation of Pinkerton is impossible.