Subject: Re: Vocal longevity (Re: Late Flagstad recordings)
From: Vesna Danilovic <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 4 Dec 2016 08:46:49 -0500

I am with Idia about Olivero's longevity. Les made an excellent point about
the greatness of her vocal interpretation, but the recordings show that her
voice was still in excellent shape to allow her to do it well into her 60s
as well. She sang in the repertory *and* style that have not been as
popular as in the times of the golden age verismo, but it seems to me that
it's precisely what the verismo composers wanted from their singers.

Her 1976 stage performance of "L'atra notte" from this private video is not
perfect in all vocal details, but my goodness, it's breath-taking and
indeed "grabs you by the gut":
*https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6NyxZG0xKM
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6NyxZG0xKM>*

The technique, interpretation, voice,-- she still had it all here when she
was 66.

Best, Vesna