Subject: Re: Del Los Angeles' Desdemona
From: Bob Rideout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 4 Dec 2016 07:53:25 -0500

Bulletin!

The trio of de los Angeles, Del Monaco and Warren was so
successful at the Met in 58 that they were engaged to repeat
the opera in 59-60. Del Monaco cancelled his season and never
again appeared at the Met, and Warren died on March 4. The
revival was cancelled!

Victoria de los Angeles sang Manon and Melisande that season,
both of which I saw and both of which remain among my
fondest memories. I was very disappointed when the Otello
cancellation was announced

On Sun, 4 Dec 2016 02:42:10 +0000, walter guitian <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>Victoria De Los Angeles certainly can not be compared with great sopranos of the XX
century, nor for voice , nor for technique.Rodolfo Celletti the most competent critic of the
history of opera thought Victoria De Los Angeles was not worth anything.About the '58
Otello broadcast De Los Angeles  has a flattened, small and sour  voice,  the voice has
little vibration, De Los Angeles was always very limited in volume, in dynamics, and in
legato,  she sings almost with the spoken voice, and the top is strident and fixed.
>All these before early sixties being very very young  when she broke the breath support
and she could not even hold her singing and she had to end her opera career because of her
bad technique  and she had to give concerts with songs of Garcia Lorca etc,   yes  , with
taste but she could sing opera anymore. Coincidentally the Metropolitan did not renew the
contract after the 1961/62 season