Subject: Re: Vocal longevity (Re: Late Flagstad recordings)
From: Idia Legray <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 4 Dec 2016 06:01:00 -0500

Les: I have no objections to your assessment of Olivero exceot for the fact
that the title was "Vocal longevity" and in that context, and that context
alone,  I must say very few lasted as long as Magda did and with a pair of
iron muscles that wouldn't quit.   Quite some feat, that.

No, she never did have what I would call a beautiful voice -- too many
glottal attacks -- (but then actually nor did Callas to my ear,) but they had
something to me that was infinitely better.  They were both able to touch
me and grab my gut whereas the angelic tones of Tebaldi somehow rarely
were able to do that (save for a Minnie that blew me away, and strangely
at that time, her voice was far from being prime).

So I was not considering beauty of voice when I suggested Olivero, it was
longevity.  Just to make that perfectly clear.