Subject: Re: Dove sono
From: Maxwell Paley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 30 Nov 2016 21:35:22 -0800

An interesting choice, Scott.  Can I assume you’re referring to the studio recording she made of the two Countess arias, rather than one of her early 50’s live performances in the role?

The studio recording, part of a recital originally billed as “Operatic Recital #3” in the US and, when released in stereo in the Uk, “Stereophonic Recital” was made in 1955 in Rome conducted by Alberto Erede, whom we’ve also discussed recently.  I’ve been surprised that this recital disc, which to me deserves the “Classic Recital” as much as any, was never issued “intact” on CD prior to the massive Decca Tebaldi box set.  I almost bought the set for that, but there was so much else on that set that I already had and none of it was remastered, so . . .

Lovely, expansive and shapely singing by prime Tebaldi.  Good as the Mozart is, she does sound notably more relaxed and warm when she gets past it and applies herself to the Cilea, Mascagni, Catalani and Refice pieces that seem more comfortable for her, although I think her “Selva opaca” is gorgeous.

For sheer quality of sound, prime Tebaldi casts a long shadow.

Back to “Dove sono,” simple as much of its sounds, I think it’s one of the real killer tests of the soprano’s vocal technique, somewhat in the same way as the Schubert song “Du bist die Ruh.”  No pyrotechnics, but the writing (which never goes higher than A) is so incredibly exposed and sits right on the upper passagio.  The real basics of vocal production are mercilessly revealed:  how the voice sits properly on the breath and can spin out into long legato phrases, the negotiation across the upper break, the ability to trill (the one thing Tebaldi doesn’t even attempt) and the need for really awesome breath control.  You just can’t klutz your way through it.

Much as I love Anna Netrebko, I would bet that today she would much rather launch into “In questa reggia” or “La mamma morta” than to have to sing this aria.

Max Paley