Subject: Re: Del Los Angeles' Desdemona
From: walter guitian <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 4 Dec 2016 02:42:10 +0000

Victoria De Los Angeles certainly can not be compared with great sopranos of the XX century, nor for voice , nor for technique.Rodolfo Celletti the most competent critic of the history of opera thought Victoria De Los Angeles was not worth anything.About the '58 Otello broadcast De Los Angeles  has a flattened, small and sour  voice,  the voice has little vibration, De Los Angeles was always very limited in volume, in dynamics, and in legato,  she sings almost with the spoken voice, and the top is strident and fixed.
All these before early sixties being very very young  when she broke the breath support and she could not even hold her singing and she had to end her opera career because of her bad technique  and she had to give concerts with songs of Garcia Lorca etc,   yes  , with taste but she could sing opera anymore. Coincidentally the Metropolitan did not renew the contract after the 1961/62 season
W.G.