Subject: Query: Anticipating Callas's birthday tomorrow
From: Geoffrey Riggs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 1 Dec 2016 12:06:46 -0500

It's simply bizarre -- no other word for it -- that in all the years this
board has been up, no listener or viewer here, to my knowledge, has yet
written in with their impressions of the artistic strengths/minuses in an
especially intriguing video of Maria Callas performing "Casta Diva" with the
RAI forces under Santini, 1957.

Opera-L already has a perfectly adult appraisal, duly pro and con, of the
other "Casta Diva" video from Paris under Sebastien, 1958 --

http://listserv.bccls.org/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind1303D&L=OPERA-L&T=0&F=&S=&P=60069

-- Taking the responsible and thoughtful tone of that posting as a kind of
guide, doesn't anyone here have thoughtful reflections along similar lines
regarding this other "Casta Diva" video of a year earlier?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-wiHzq_Bbk

For now, I will simply say that I do prefer this '57, in general, to the '58
video -- at least in terms of the overall level of Callas's singing.  But
before unwrapping that further, I'm sincerely interested -- please -- in any
considered impressions on this '57 that others here may have.  I'm happy to
hear from anyone on either their impressions of the artistry in this '57
video by itself, or in comparison with the '58.  Whichever.

Thanks very much,

Geoffrey Riggs