Subject: Del Los Angeles' Desdemona
From: Bob Rideout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 3 Dec 2016 13:57:06 -0500

The 1958 Otello Met broadcast with de los Angeles, Del Monaco
and Warren is among my very favorite performances of the opera.
She is exquisite from top to bottom, and the two men, who are not
among my favorites, are in their very best form. I know that many
hear a constriction above the staff in her singing, but on this
broadcast I hear a definition of the musical line and beauty of tone
rarely heard by anyone in any role. By the early sixties she was in lots
of trouble in the stratosphere, but I just don't hear it in 58.

Milanov sang a decent Desdemona as late as 63, topped by an
extraordinary 4th act, the equal of any I've ever heard. The tone
was gorgeous and the steadiness was remarkable for a 57 year
old woman. The earlier acts had their usual share of Zinka nonsense,
but the Salce and Ave Maria were breathtaking! She knew what the
great moments were all about!

BTW, I'm not enjoying Netrebko on the radio today, at all!

Bob