Subject: Re: "Ungrateful roles" and why
From: Jon Goldberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 3 Dec 2016 12:43:14 -0500

Stepping briefly out of opera proper, I've always felt bad for the alto soloist in the
Beethoven 9th, who never has one single moment to shine, unlike the others. (Only the
men get extended solo moments, but of course one is always aware of the soprano on the
top line - the alto part is as crucial but it gets buried in the mix).

Similarly, the tenor in Carmina Burana, who has to sit there for most of the hour without
participating at all - except for his one, very challenging "Roasted Swan" aria.

On Sat, 3 Dec 2016 11:41:05 -0500, James Bodge <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>On 12/3/2016 10:34 AM, Scott Grunow wrote:
>> Gutrune, perhaps, even though Jurinac and Watson on records made her sympathetic.
I thought Janowitz would be better. Her voice seems to be right for the timbre and
tessitura. Grummer also sang the role in Bayreuth but I don't think she ever sang it again.
But most of the time no one really seems to know what to do with her. Is she stupid, as
cipher (sorry fo the lack of parallelism) alluring, sexy, secretly strong, who knows? Yet in
the Nibelunglied, she exacts a terrible revenge. I think the character Kreimhild corresponds
to her character. Yes the sequel, The Revenge of Gutrune.

>> Die Amme in Die Frau ohne Schatten. Too often seen as a character role, where it
really requires a dramatic mezzo with a wide range in her prime. Still, she screams and
snarls  endlessly (and it one gets a past prime singer, painfully so) and then gets
essentially eliminated. All that immense effort for nothing.

>> Freia in Das Rheingold. Help me, help me. That's about it. Still, you can certainly make
something of it you are really a goddess of love and beauty. Maria Jeritza and Lina
Cavalieri have left the building.