Subject: Re: "Ungrateful roles" and why
From: Daniel Tritter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 3 Dec 2016 10:57:15 -0500

the greatest amme in the history of die frau ohne schatten was
astrid varnay, whom i heard at a munich festival performance of
the taxing role in july 1972. at the time, varnay was 54 years old.
she had no need to scream and snarl, as the above poster so
senselessly puts it.  no universal rules need be employed. too
bad mr. grunow hadn't the good fortune to hear one of opera's
great artists in full command of her powers when many would
have wisely retired.

interesting coincidence: as some posters here have noted, the
same wonder at vocal longevity has been expressed about
kirsten flagstad, who was astrid varnay's godmother.