Subject: "Ungrateful roles" and why
From: Scott Grunow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 3 Dec 2016 10:34:02 -0500

Gutrune, perhaps, even though Jurinac and Watson on records made her sympathetic. I thought Janowitz would be better. Her voice seems to be right for the timbre and tessitura. Grummer also sang the role in Bayreuth but I don't think she ever sang it again. But most of the time no one really seems to know what to do with her. Is she stupid, as cipher (sorry fo the lack of parallelism) alluring, sexy, secretly strong, who knows? Yet in the Nibelunglied, she exacts a terrible revenge. I think the character Kreimhild corresponds to her character. Yes the sequel, The Revenge of Gutrune.

Die Amme in Die Frau ohne Schatten. Too often seen as a character role, where it really requires a dramatic mezzo with a wide range in her prime. Still, she screams and snarls  endlessly (and it one gets a past prime singer, painfully so) and then gets essentially eliminated. All that immense effort for nothing.

Freia in Das Rheingold. Help me, help me. That's about it. Still, you can certainly make something of it you are really a goddess of love and beauty. Maria Jeritza and Lina Cavalieri have left the building.

Any others?

Mezzomaniac