Subject: Re: A Bitter Pill/Tarleton Twins
From: "Max D. Winter" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 3 Dec 2016 00:31:28 -0500

David Shengold wrote:

"Do a search for Pulitzer Prize Novels and you'll see some of the immortal tomes that share
that distinction. A few good books... and then the rest.
As for "popularity", that could be said of PEYTON PLACE and VALLEY OF THE DOLLS too,
but..."

Thanks for the suggestion, David.  I did a search of Pulitzer Prize fiction, and Margaret
Mitchell is in some very distinguished company:  Edith Wharton, Booth Tarkington, Sinclair
Lewis, Thornton Wilder, Pearl S. Buck, John Steinbeck, Upton Sinclair, John P. Marquand,
James Michener, Herman Wouk, Ernest Hemingway, William Faulkner, Harper Lee, Katherine
Ann Porter, Saul Bellow, Norman Mailer, Phillip Roth, John Updike, Alice Walker, Toni
Morrison, Annie Proulx... I had no idea that the Pulitzer featured so many of the most
distinguished American authors of the past century.   "A few good books" indeed!  (BTW,
how many of the books on the Pulitzer list have you actually read?  I counted 31 that I have
read over the years, from "The Age of Innocence" to "The Goldfinch," and they are all
worthy of the PP.)

Re popularity, obviously that metric is not in itself a guarantor of quality.  But you should
have chosen better counter-examples.  GWTW today, 80 years after its first publication, is
one of the best-known, best-loved, and widely-read works of fiction in the U.S.  By contrast,
I doubt if most people today have even heard of "Peyton Place" (a very good book, BTW) or
"Valley of the Dolls" (now THERE is a "hack" work by a hack author), much less read them.
No doubt the movie "GWTW" has something to do with the book's continuing popularity, but
that alone does not account for it.

The racial/historical aspects of GWTW are another matter for considerable debate.  But the
quality of the book itself is not in question, IMNSHO.

Regards -
Max