Subject: Re: L'amour de Loin
From: Ron Magnuson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 2 Dec 2016 14:31:06 -0500

> On Dec 2, 2016, at 12:54 AM, Kathy Boyce <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> A company premiere tonight at the Met, and in spite of a slow start by Eric Owens, there was much to be excited about.

Yes, he sounded terrible in the first act with a thread-bare voice and a serious wobble.  Although he improved as the evening progressed, he just did not sound comfortable in the role.
Susanna Phillips sounded strained at her upper extension but otherwise very much the countess.  Dramatically, she rose to the occasion spilling out her outrage, sorrow and anguish in the final act.
Tamara Mumford did well in a rather thankless role that lacks the definition and musical identity of the other two roles.
I found the tempos of Susanna Malkki on the brisk side, impeding the sense of timelessness and space that the music requires.
This is music of astonishing inventiveness, evoking sound worlds of the East and of the West, the 12th century and the 21st century.  I look forward to the HD transmission.

Ron Magnuson