Subject: Re: Late Flagstad recordings
From: Max Paley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 2 Dec 2016 08:11:31 -0800

John Culshaw had the Elgar "Sea Pictures" listed as potential recording material with her in the late 1950s.  There were a lot of ideas they just didn't get around to, mostly because of her schedule.

I wish I could remember the name of the person talking on a radio program who described going to a concert in which Flagstad sang a few songs in Norway in 1959.  He went in not expecting much but was stunned by "a voice I could do chinups from."

I find people divided on the sound of her voice in those Decca stereo recordings.  Some find it splendid but others hear a worn, gray sound.  I note a definite correlation between the caliber of audio equipment they have and the perception of her voice.  The Decca engineers caught the full power of her sound which, even today, can be demanding to reproduce.  What I find is the better the equipment, the better she sounds.

Max Paley

Sent from my iPad