Subject: Re: A Bitter Pill For Feminists
From: Genevieve Castle Room <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 6 Dec 2016 21:57:22 -0500

Bill Moore wrote:

>"Perhaps there are so few female composers of stature because women have
historically
been oppressed?  Writing a book is a private affair.  Anyone can do it
anonymously and with
little or no investment from the male dominated hierarchy. Composers? Not
so much."

I don't think I accept the premise of that argument. Music composition can
be just as private an affair as writing a novel. Clara Schumann and Fanny
Mendelssohn were extraordinary pianists who wrote many compositions in
various genres. They needed little help from the male music establishment
to play and promote their compositions. They gave recitals and played their
own music... despite strong opposition by male musicians and sponsors.

Even if I accepted the premise that a great talent could have been
suppressed in the past... what is stopping Kaija Saariaho, Jennifer Higdon,
Ellen Taaffe Zwilich, Cindy McTee and other contemporary female composers
from achieving the kind of distinction reached by Beethoven, Mozart,
Debussy, Wagner and others? There were few female pianists, violinists,
cellists, etc in the 18th and 19th centuries but among the few who existed
some DID achieve great distinction -- like Clara Schumann.

So... if she succeeded as a pianist despite all of the oppression, why
didn't she or some other woman succeed as a composer?