Subject: Re: "Ungrateful roles" and why
From: Bob Rideout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 6 Dec 2016 14:46:12 -0500

Wow! I'm on a different planet, or somethin'.
I think Brangane is a very grateful role, if you can sing it.
Christa Ludwig and Tatiana Troyanos are only two who
left indelible marks.

And a great Amonasro will be remembered for a looooong
time if he can pull off "pensa che un popolo, vinto,
straziato. Per te soltanto risorger puo". When sung with the
right tone and intensity, it can be the most memorable moment
in the opera.

I agree about Telramund, except when Hermann Uhde sang it.
A performance never to be forgotten! It was frightening. He was
utterly magnificent.

Bob