Subject: Re: Fwd:Tebaldi
From: "Ms. Voigt's Broadcast Isolde" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 6 Dec 2016 14:44:32 -0500

Everyone knows the infamous reputation of Tebaldi's '63 'Adriana's at the
Met, which drove her from the stage for a year.  I had always wondered how
in fact she sounded, and find that there is now a YouTube clip of the fourth
act duet with Corelli that purports to be from that '63 debacle -- and she
sounds wonderful to me.  Either she got a lot better after her entrance, or
the clip is misdated.  Does anyone know which?

Sirius recently played her return in 'Boheme' the next year, and I remember
posting about how much I thought she had returned to sounding like her old
self, which was not the case when she adopted that steely, chesty sound she
used for 'Gioconda'.  I still find her tremendous in that part, but the
sound is undoubtedly different.

David Kubiak

Modify your settings: