Subject: Re: "Ungrateful roles" and why
From: Maxwell Paley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 6 Dec 2016 11:28:13 -0800

I'd add three mezzo roles: Brangäne, Suzuki and Meg Page.

Also, to a degree, Masetto.

Meg and Masetto have a lot of musically difficult ensemble work to learn but never get to shine.

One thing with Verdi is that he usually takes care to give each of his principals their moment onstage, either alone or where the focus is clearly on them.  Meg never gets that nor, for that matter, does Amonasro.

Max Paley

Sent from my iPhone