Subject: Re: Met broadcasts in Dallas
From: Jon Goldberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 6 Dec 2016 13:16:51 -0500

And indeed, as we all know, or *should* know, there are live transmissions of operas going
on quite frequently on the web. I too find the excitement of a live performance that much
more fun than a recording - I assume most of us do - but even "recorded live" is a decent
compromise. Or, Sirius, at least in its internet format, does have a rollback feature, so one
can hear the live broadcast a few hours later if desired. And even if you MUST hear the
performance literally as it's being sung, there's still much more of that to be found
nowadays than before the internet.

Growing up, it was mostly just on Saturday afternoons - and when the Met season was
over, other companies like Chicago and San Francisco would fill in (and still do). But
nowadays it's also possible to have more options, and from all around the world - maybe
at other times over the weekend, or maybe other live operas on Saturday afternoons
beside the Met (god forbid we should listen to something else lol).

We should indeed be celebrating how much more is out there now. And that also means
you can choose to listen to as much as you can, OR you can still just reserve that one
special time a week, etc. It's all good.

On Tue, 6 Dec 2016 12:12:53 -0500, Peggy Houdek <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>I don’t about  “generational”, ‘cause I’m probably older than you.  But, I
absolutely love being able to have “live” opera on my computer all the time.  Now
that I don’t have to work anymore (yay!)  I can do whatever I want which includes
having opera on most of my waking hours.  I’ve recently got a new computer, my first
Mac, and have been spending lots of time going through my many flash drives and it’s
amazing what I’ve found.  Recently an Amahl video turned up which brought me to
tears.