Subject: Re: Met broadcasts in Dallas
From: Peggy Houdek <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 6 Dec 2016 12:12:53 -0500

I don’t about  “generational”, ‘cause I’m probably older than you.  But, I absolutely love being able to have “live” opera on my computer all the time.  Now that I don’t have to work anymore (yay!)  I can do whatever I want which includes having opera on most of my waking hours.  I’ve recently got a new computer, my first Mac, and have been spending lots of time going through my many flash drives and it’s amazing what I’ve found.  Recently an Amahl video turned up which brought me to tears.

So, this isn’t meant to be critical, but just to point out how different we all are in many wonderful ways.

(,,,) ^..^(,,,)

> On Dec 6, 2016, at 11:40 AM, donald kane <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> I don't want now and never did want a "staggering range of live
> opera" to make me happy, and I don't think a performance that
> is available at any time on a variety of devices, deserves to be
> called "live".  I have been to a great many operas in the past,
> sometimes as many as two a week, and have collected shelf
> loads of recorded ones, some of which have yet to shed their
> shrink-wrap, but, call it nostalgia if you must, I always have
> found it especially satisfying to reserve the time for a truly live
> transmission like the Saturday matinees or those ever more
> infrequent (if not altogether vanished) PBS offerings.  The
> feeling of a special event originating in a real place in real time
> is simply more rewarding to me than the sort of sound track
> to life that a continuous stream of music out of nowhere can
> deliver.  It's a generational thing, I guess.
> dtmk

Modify your settings: